Saturday, July 5, 2008

When you reach a certain age, you'd recognize the effort that you exert in remembering things. It was yesterday, yes it was, when you were telling a group of friends a story that your mom told you four years ago. Now you strain to recall what it was, careful in separating what you remember from what truly happened.

The day when fiction becomes fact is the same day when you'd feel the slow waning of the years, the soft solitary footsteps of their leaving.

Here are some things I remember:

1. my aunt says I was 2 years old when I said my first English word. the English word was dead.


2. the smell of sampaguitas after we've mixed them to make bubbles


3. a strip of sunshine landing on my uncle's face some random afternoon


4. mothballs in my father's closet


5. old and rusty gold-rimmed glasses on a bedside table


6. cold green bathroom tiles

7. a storybook that I wrote for myself about two girls who went around the world and never came back. the illustrations were horrendous.


8. peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in a red lunchbox and a thermos of hot milo


9. a boy named george who made faces at me during recess.

10. my 1st grade uniform: moss green skirt and a cream polo with moss green piping.


11. a small blackboard with the alphabet written on it backwards


12. two wooden doll's houses, one smaller than the other. both had two floors. the bigger one was better furnished because it had more rooms.


13. Ura, an old crazy lady who walked around the city with big plastic bags tied to her skirt and a purple bandana around her head.


14. the taste of Tita Magdalena's mechado.


15. the lilting way my mother pronounces English words


16. my mother facing her vanity mirror, looking blankly at her face


17. how steady my mother's hand was while she clutched my arm when i was almost taken by a sipay(rumored pirates who kidnapped children in the early 80's. possibly an urban legend but someone did try to take me.).


18. a yellow box with a golden lock, a memory of folly and forgiveness attached to it.


19. my mother's maimed middle finger

20. the smell of a Perry Ellis perfume wafting in rooms my mother has occupied


21. Frank Sinatra singing on a Sunday.


22. soft, sweet pilipits (squash sweets)


23. combing my father's hair


24. the unsolved mystery of the broken vase


25. secretly unlocking my brother's room whenever he's punished for something


26. my grandmother's spaghetti


27. Ate Glenda's laughter when she was very young


28. someone throwing a fit over paper doll cutouts


29. Max's fried chicken after Sunday Mass. they don't make 'em like they did anymore.


30. selling stationery, P1.00 a piece for the small, square ones and P1.50 for the page-length ones that smell good.


31. eating Serge chocolates while lying on new sheets, reading a book.


32. the smell of new books


33. a pack of Bazooka bubble gum, the comic strip wrappers


34. Santa Claus and my last memorable Christmas


35. reunions at Lolo Ramon's boat-shaped house in Antipolo


36. the heat from stage lights

37. Cyril Maano


38. my mother's shame at something I told our relatives about over dinner


39. Perfect Strangers and the sound my father's rickety rocking chair made during commercial breaks


40.going to school without taking a bath


41. a red dress and a sailor hat


42. smoke from cigars; a group of men wearing fedoras


43. my father's shiny Knights of Columbus sword


44. laughing with Anthony over Pugad Baboy comic books


45. the gift of a small lab set


46. scores erased from a pink examination notebook


47. tricking our family driver into buying me Scramble after school lets out


48. balled up handwritten letters thrown from school buses


49. my Jeffrey fixation: Jeffrey Gaggalang (1st Grade), Jeffrey Sarmiento (2nd Grade), Mark Jeffrey Querubin (6th grade), Jeffrey-no-last-name, a waiter from a pizza store, Jeffrey Tam (2nd yr. highschool)


50. Sam, then Theresa


51. brown suspenders hanging from a coat rack


52. a perfect, blue sky from my bedroom window


53. playing hooky


54. a spelling bee; the word chaos


55. Felix the Cat and an early farewell to innocence


56. Stephanie's mom's Fusilli dish

57. Kuya Boy singing Besame Mucho in the dark


58. My father's voice; my father's stories

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. my aunt says I was 2 years old when I said my first English word. the English word was dead.

Panalo. Hehe. =p