Monday, July 14, 2008


Song preferences are extremely subject to a couple of things.

Well for one, the melody/lyrics should be interesting enough to strike you, and by strike I don't mean a mere bop on the head. I mean serious cranial damage, I mean a whole World War happening inside your already overwrought brain connectors. Seriously, it should blow you away.

More importantly, though, it should be relevant. If you haven't noticed yet, people are big on relevance. The song should be something that they think can unravel in their action-packed, monotony-free lives. This is why there are songs that we liked in highschool that we won't ever tell anyone about now. Songs are like husbands and wives -- they're easy to divorce as long as the severance is discreet and everyone's still alive.

There are also songs that you've never noticed before and one day, you mistakenly hear it on your Ipod and it magically turns your heart around. Suddenly, tears are running down your cheeks. You are a pool of regret and self-pity. The next day, you put it on repeat so that the agony can continue.

This is not that kind of song.


Ks Choice - 20000 Seconds.mp3 -


This is a song I liked so much in college. And yes, back then, I put it on repeat and thought about all the boys I liked that I failed, ever so harshly,to attain. I liked the way my heart constricted and died and revived itself the whole 2 minutes and 24 seconds this song played.

But yesterday, I listened to it and I screamed.Who the fuck changed the lyrics on me? What kind of insensitive brute would make this song so blatantly senseless, so utterly un-cynical? This is murder, I'm telling you.

And I listened to it again and tried to sing along. I got everything right but I was different.

No comments: