Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Today, I shall personally show you my top 17 favorite books. However, I'll be presenting them in no particular order because my books are all extremely sensitive and might feel more than a little slighted if they think they've been underappreciated and might run off with the milkmaid first chance s/he gets.

So, here they are:




The Blind Assassin. If anyone ever so much as undervalues this book in any way, I will come after you. Oh yes, I will come after you. And that's that, really. I'll just follow you around, like the good stalker that I am.


The Book of Illusions. Paul Auster. No explanations necessary.



Catch - 22. Climb, you bastard! Climb, climb, climb, climb!"


Einstein's Dreams. Alan Lightman, make sweet love to meeehhhh!!!!!


Fear of Flying. I panted my way through the entire thing. You would, too. (wink, wink)



Fight Club. Edward Norton was great in the film version. Edward Norton was great in the film version. Edward Norton was great in the film version. Edward Norton was great in the film version.


A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I am in this book. Every orphan is.




Henry and June. Anais Nin will seriously rock your world out of kilter.

The House of Mirth. I cried a full 30 minutes after I read this book. Amazing. Wonderful. I'm running out of trumped up adjectives.

Lord of the Flies. I will be eternally grateful to my Comm II teacher, Beng, for encouraging me to read this book.


One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Swear that you'll read this. Swear.

Possession: A Romance. Last year's Best Book Read By Someone Who Rarely Reads Anymore. Possibly even better than The Blind Assassin.

Sputnik Sweetheart. I fall in love with this book over and over again. Went to bed with it the first time I finished it. Gets better everytime.

Tarantula. Bod Dylan slays me. He slays me until I am nothing but a big sighing heartbeat.


The Bell Jar. When I was in college, I almost lost my mind because I thought I lost it. Was a necessity for me during my EIC days for LB Times.

The Reader. Possibly this year's best book. It has yet to be rivaled. The film, they say, will be out by December this year. Starring Ralph Fiennes and Kate Winslet. Wouldn't miss it if I were you.

White Teeth. Zadie Smith is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. A lot of great insights in this book. Keep out of children's reach.

Well, that's it for now. All of those, and more, make me a happy and healthy girl (until the drug tests prove otherwise).

1 comment:

cheLot said...

waaahhh!!! i love "The Book of Illusions" too! ang galing galing ng storya... nakakaloka! :D