Tuesday, June 3, 2008

coming home: parts and pieces 2

Woe is me. I am at home, nursing a sprained ankle. This is the product of a gloriously intelligent decision that I made sometime between 11:35 and 12:01 a.m. last Sunday, the details of which I won't be discussing here or anywhere for that matter. I spent the whole Sunday prostrate in bed, with nothing else to do but read. Okay, so I won't be a hypocrite and pretend that I was very miserable. This is the only time that I've managed to succesfully finish a book in months. Oh, and I watched Unfaithful again, which is something that I've wanted to do for the loooongest time. I want to stress out that it is definitely not the right movie to watch when your right foot hurts like hell.

My brother was so sweet. He went out to attend band practice Sunday afternoon but came home immediately afterwards. He wore such a concerned look in his face that I had to ask him, ever so wryly, So who died? And in the middle of dinner while we were watching a supposedly funny sitcom, I cried all over my hotdog sandwich. He had to listen while I ranted on uselessly about how I shouldn't have done this or that, how I should've been in Laguna by that time, how I may never walk again because my foot hurt so badly. He must've been pretty shaken because he texted all the nurses he knew (he was once a nursing student) and asked about my plight. No, they replied, it couldn't be broken because she can still move it a bit. No, it's not something to worry about but it's best to have it X-rayed.

Monday, I couldn't come to work. It still hurt badly but I could move it a bit. Bro took me to the station and refused to leave and he probably hadn't had I not threatened him that I would not be giving him any allowance if he fails to enroll this semester. So he finally went to school and I was left in the station with Kurt Vonnegut and his dud of a book.

Inspite of the nerve-wracking transpo shifts, I arrived at Laguna in one piece. My boy showed off his new tatts which were very nice but I don't care much for stars because they remind me of something hateful and sad. Since we didn't see each other for a week, we talked about everything that happened during the week that we could remember. One of the nicest things about being with someone sensible (him, not me) is that you never seem to run out of things to talk about.

Today, we're off to the clinic. I opted to come home because if I have it X-rayed and checked here, I wouldn't have any over-the-top expenses. Two words: company benefits.

I am still a bit scared but I can walk using the foot now. It doesn't hurt so much but still and all, it pays to be cautious.

No comments: