Thursday, May 1, 2008

the more you ignore me, the more that platypus will grow on your head

Hay naku. So much for Morrissey and this wasted day and all the things I wanted to do but didn't get to do because I prioritized posting stuff in a site that no one seems to bother with. It was cold in Vox but it's friggin' winter here. So what do you do in subzero weather? Post some more worthless stuff because no one's catching on yet.

My birthday is nigh. Only a few more dates and I'm off the youth category. Twenty-six is not a bad age, I guess. It just would take some time to get used to.

Strangely, I don't feel that I would be that old in a coup'a. I feel like I've been stuck in reverse and yes, I rarely act my age. But no one's nineteen forever and something's gotta give along the way.

But for the meantime, because I'm bored and not intelligent enough to think of another way to ease my feelings of anxiety, I'm going to bother you with facts about myself that you'd probably have no use for in the impending doom that we commonly call The Future:

1. My friends don't know I blog about them. Chances are, I've blogged about you, too, but I've carefully disguised my descriptions with metaphors and exaggerated sentiments so that you would not know that it was you I was talking about all along.

2. I'm most fickle about the music I listen to. I never liked Pop but I try to know a little bit about the other genres, just to keep things interesting.

3. I used to like reading Classic Lit but I'm catching up on more contemporary works.

4. I'm a great fan of Billy Collins and Stephen Dunn.

5. I never was good at confrontations. I make very inappropriate gestures when someone wants to have it all out, like drink lots of water before I explain myself or laugh.

6. When I was a kid, I believed that my real father was Charles Dickens.

7. I used to like my body. Used to.

8. There is a reason why I don't like talking about or thinking about politics.

9. There are days when I believe in Aliens.

10. There are days when I believe in God.

11. When my parents were alive, I liked summers best.

12. I've always wanted to experience kissing someone in the rain. Oh wait, but it should be exactly the way Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow did it in Great Expectations. I've always had fantasies about someone charging in and dragging me outside and no one else is outside because it's raining and he kisses me senseless and it's wonderful and it's romantic and it's funny because I'm almost never romantic. Almost never.

13. I get frightened when I am asked to talk or sing onstage. Which is really weird because I've done more than my fair share of hosting and singing when I was very young.

14. I want to own all the books in the world.

15. My dream job is the job that Jessica Zafra has.

16. There are days when I can't wait to go to work so I could anticipate coming home.

17. I love you. Sometimes, it feels like it's been forever.

18. My dream birthday celebration is an all-expense paid trip to Europe.

19. I'm one of the most selfish people I know.

20. I think behind most people's actions is the desire to be recognized for those actions.

21. No one is entirely selfless. That's why I don't buy the idea of saints.

22. I used to always wear dresses as a kid. When I was 14 or 15, I had my mother's dresses altered so that they could fit me. (I hate looking young.)

23. Some people say I look young for a thirty year old.

24. The thing I hate the most is when people call me "Misis"

25. I am in love with Audrey Hepburn.

26. My favorite breakfast meal is blueberry pancakes or cornflakes with lots of milk and strawberries.

27. I believe I'll die of diabetes or cancer.

28. I see myself in Anna Karenina's hopefulness, in Holly Golightly's ability to deceive herself and others around her, in Lolita's confusion about who she ought to be, in Elinor Dashwood's propensity to choose sense over sensibility, in Ellen Olenska's confidence, and in Jo March's quil.

29. I'm always anxious days before my birthday. I have to fix my attention on something 'til I get exhausted then when my birthday comes, I rest.

30. There really is such a thing as an elephant bird. See for yourself.

No comments: